The Kiwanis Club of Webster was chartered on May 14th 1957. Our motto is "Serving the Children of the World".
In late 1956 and early 1957, a group of members from the Lakeshore Kiwanis Club and other residents of Webster decided to form a new club, dedicated to deliver to Webster the principles and precepts of Kiwanis International.
With the help of members of the Lakeshore club, including Tony Calabrese, Past Governor Bob's father, eighteen members met on May 14, 1957, holding the first meeting and organized the club.
Since Stan Nowrocki, the owner of Hedge's Restaurant, was one of the organizers, the first meetings were held at Hedge's Nine Mile Point in the Boom Boom Club, which was located on the grounds of Hedges, just west of where the tennis courts are now located.
Don Guerin was the first president. Bob Baker was elected as vice president, Harry Ridley as second vice president, Stanley Nowrocki as third vice president, Stanley Worden as treasurer, and Louis Hamel was appointed as secretary. In addition to the officers ten men were elected as directors.
Our Charter Night was held on August 3, 1957.
We immediately began our involvement in the community by holding fund raising events with the proceeds being given to aid the Webster community.
We set up a loan fund for college students. We would give eligible college students money with no strings attached other than if they wanted to, after graduation, they could repay the "loan" so that we could assist additional eligible college students. A modest scholarship award was given to graduates of Webster High School based on their involvement in community service rather than athletics or academic standing.
Over the years our club has performed thousands of hours of service and donated thousands of dollars to assist children and their families. We proudly sponsor Key Clubs at Webster Schroeder and Webster Thomas High Schools, a Builders Club at Spry Middle School, K-Kids at Stae Road and Schlegel Road Elementary Schools. We also charter Boy Scout Troop 108, Cub Scout Pack 108, and Ship 303. We provide support to other scouting units. Our Field House is available, free of charge, to other non-profit groups in Webster. The field house is used throughout the year by scouting groups and during the month of July the Webster Lions Club utilizes the facility for Camp Smile.
Over the years several members have gone on to serve the Finger Lakes Division as Lt. Governor. Jack Harten and Doreen Pellititieri have each served as New York District Governor. Jack Harten has also served on the international level with the international board and foundation, most recently as International Foundation President.